Sunday, June 22, 2014

Denver, CO to Hays, KS

Welcome to Kansas!
Sleepy Pups
French Toast Brûlée
Driving Day! Yay... okay, maybe not that enthusiastic about driving at this point, but seeing Kansas was kind of fun. We had no plans for the day other than making it to Hays, Kansas... a city which we knew nothing about. I am just going to preface this post with the statement that TripAdvisor saved the day. We were starting to get hungry in the middle of no where (AKA Eastern Colorado) and I started searching for restaurants in upcoming towns. One of them was the Turkey Crossing Cafe in Hugo, Colorado. We decided to stop there without realizing it was 13 miles off the interstate on which we were traveling. Whoops! Well, we were already off the highway, so we decided to see what it was like. Once we arrived, it was a tiny town that reminded me a lot of Whigham, Georgia. I don't even think there was a stop light. We found that there was a large shady park with picnic tables across the street from the cafe. Bonus for the pups! We went in and ordered food. It was definitely a locals only kind of place, cause few people were gonna wander in this direction. The people inside were really nice and our food was delicious! Mom got a pork cutlet sandwich and onion straws, which were fantastic and I don't even usually pick pork as my meat of choice (except for bacon). Then for dessert we decided to try their caramel pie. It was delicious! We grabbed a quick nearby geocache and headed back to the interstate. We finally made it to Hays, which I was assuming was going to be a one horse town... boy was I wrong! Apparently Fort Hays State University is located there. We had found Gella's Diner & Lb. Brewing Company on TripAdvisor. The food was superb. They had a lot of different items like a Green Bean, Potato, & Dumpling soup (amazing), Creamed Spinach with bacon and parmesan, and a French Bread Brûlée. I thought Mom was going to have to roll me out of there. Wow! Kind wish we had a reason to go back to Hays, KS so I could eat there again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment