Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rocky Mountain National Park

Wyoming Ground Squirrel
Elk at Sheep Lakes
Gizmo & Ollie got to go to Doggie Daycare while Mom and I explored Rocky Mountain National Park. The park is about 70 miles north of Denver, Colorado. We headed out, only to run into some pretty significant road construction delays. After waiting in a stopped lane for a while, we decided to turn around and take a detour that had been advertised some miles back. It took us through a more rural area to the park's entrance. As we were heading into the park entrance, we saw three elk walking into town, which we took as a good omen for wildlife viewing. The first thing we did was stop at the Beaver MeadowsVisitor Center. After browsing in the gift shop, I asked a park ranger to recommend a good drive to see wildlife and scenery on. I explained that Mom & I weren't up for much hiking with the altitude and that we were returning to Denver for the night. She recommended that we take Trail Ridge Road, which would take us into the Alpine Tundra area of the park, and we could come out the other side of the park where we might see some moose. We were all for it, and also decided to make a quick detour to Sheep Lakes in hopes of seeing some bighorn sheep, who come down from Bighorn Mountain to eat the nutrient dense mud from the lakes. As we approached Sheep Lakes, we noticed there was a car stopped in the middle of the road. I rolled down the window to ask one of the bystanders if they were looking at sheep. About that time, I noticed that there were some huge antlers that were moving in the bushes. It was a fairly decent sized elk. I snapped a few photos and then we headed down to the lakes. As we walked around, we met a very nice park volunteer who told us about the small little furry creature that we were viewing. It was a Wyoming Ground Squirrel (I'd never heard of one before). She also explained the process to become a park volunteer. It sounded really interesting! As we left Sheep Lakes, the elk had crossed the road (that has got to the a joke in the Rockies) and was grazing in an open area. I was able to get a few more pictures before we continued on our way.

View from Trail Ridge Road
We made a few scenic stops, because the snow covered mountains were just gorgeous. We finally made our way to Rock Cut, which is where the park ranger said there had been some bighorn sheep sightings. Apparently, these bighorn sheep do not want me to photograph them, because they were no where to be seen! However, I heard a small creature and Mom was able to spot him (her?). It was a cute little Yellow-bellied Marmot. As I moved to the side to get a closer picture, I startled another, larger, marmot into motion. He scared the bejesus out of me! However, his chunky little tush was very photogenic! He also complied with turning around and romping about so I was able to get some good photos! Yay! We finally continued on our way (we had to be back by a certain time to pickup Gizmo and Ollie), and drove into the Alpine Tundra area of the park. The highest point on Trail Ridge Road is 12,183 feet! The air was thin!! We stopped at the Alpine Visitor Center, where they had a pressed penny machine (Woo Hoo!), and Mom ended up getting a free chai latte (score!).

Yellow-bellied Marmot
Then it was down the back side of the mountain. Mom did a fantastic job driving, cause one side of the road was pretty much an immediate drop off down the mountain and the other side was snow covered boulders. As we approached the Colorado River Trailhead (where another park ranger said to start looking for moose), Mom gleefully exclaimed "I see one!". She pulled over and told me to peek around the other side of the hill. I carefully, and quietly, snuck around and didn't see any... then I saw them! There were three little guys! AMAZING! I took a lot of photos and then we continued on our way. 
Spotted another one but not quickly enough to stop. We also saw one way back in a creek, and a deer (?) beside the road. What an amazing trip!!!

I see you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment